Sagittarius New Moon Solar Eclipse
Friday 3 December | Saturday 4 December
11:43pm 3 December, West Coast, USA
2:43am 4 December, East Coast, USA
8:43am 4 December, Rome, Italy
Sagittarius New Moon
Woohoo, it’s Sagittarius new moon time. The Sag part of our chart usually contains some luck, a lust for experience and adventure, and an easy flow. The general energy is about setting off on a fresh new adventure during this lunation cycle over the next 2 weeks.
You may have to release something first, as it can open space for an exciting new renewal. This months theme is ‘Release and Renew.’ Read on and I will explain the unique energy of this years Sagittarius new moon.
We have a Sagittarius new moon every year around this time of year. It’s a sweet boost for enjoying the holiday season and ringing in the new year with cheer and joy. Collectively we can experience an increase in optimism and goodwill. It’s a time for easy going fun and doing things you love to experience.
The twist this year is that we have eclipse energy making this a super potent new moon. For some, life changing events can happen under the influence of the eclipse period. For others, it may fly by without any noticeable big changes. It depends on your chart.
This years Sagittarius new moon energy has a vibe of increased curiosity and desire for connection. You may feel a bit restless, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. This extra energy will be both mental and physical because Mars will play a part as well in the sky configuration. Think of it as extra mental energy that can be put to strategic use and physical energy to carry out whatever your creative mind concocts.
There are lots of astrological events happening in December. More big astrological events than usual, and of course the usual sign changes we see practically every month with the faster moving planets. Almost every planet is active at the new moon in some way. We can expect to be busy and have plenty of distractions. Some of those distractions can be annoying and some fun. You may be called on for more socializing than usual.
That means that December will be fast paced, full of experiences, and can foster some creative thinking. If you are one of those impacted by the eclipse, you may even feel overwhelmed with the number of things you have to juggle. With almost all of the planets up to something astrologically this month, and we will all feel it in one way or another.
So strap in and get ready for the ride. December is a jam packed month full of astrological events. In the end, all of these experiences are more likely to result in positive self-growth. Even if some of the experiences are challenging. Sagittarius is generally a sign of luck, growth, and opportunity due to the influence of Jupiter, the ruling planet of Sag.
At the time of the full moon, Jupiter is getting an energy boost from the planet of action Mars. This boost can push you out of your comfort zone, and/or ask you to pay attention to a distraction. Be open to the experience and you will problem solve your way through whatever life throws at you.
If you have been following astrology this year, you know that the heavy hitting planets Saturn and Uranus have been connecting all year highlighting tradition vs. innovation. I wrote an article on this energy vibe called ‘The Rebel and The Traditionalist where you can learn more about it.’ What’s important to know for December is that these planets will have their third and final meeting in December before they start parting ways next year.
Hopefully after December we can see some resolution to some of the more polarizing events going on in the world, and/or in your personal lives. The last thing I want to mention, and I know this is a lot, is that we have some introspective energy happening around how we relate socially to the world. This can be directed toward our intimate relationships, family, friends, co-workers, and network.
Where this last energy shows up depends on where Capricorn is in your chart. This particular trend is going to be around through March. It is about the upcoming Venus retrograde, which starts December 19 and goes through the end of January 2022. In February the after affects will be known and whatever changes come out of it will start integrating in your life. By March it will all be in the rearview mirror.
As you are wrapping your mind around this huge amount of energy beaming down on us in December, remember that what is most important is how you respond, and responding in an authentic way based on your personal values. If this is a time of change and upheaval for you, respond in a way you will look back and be proud.
About the Sagittarius New Moon Eclipse
The Sagittarius new moon has a flavor twist this month from regular new moons because of the eclipse. An eclipse means the light of the Sun or Moon is dimmed. We had a lunar eclipse a few weeks ago during the Taurus full moon. A lunar eclipse is when the shadow of the earth is cast on the Moon. Eclipses always come in pairs, so now we have the solar eclipse. That means the Sun’s light is dimmed from the shadow of the moon.
How this will show up according to your horoscope is individual. The best way to understand it is to speak with an astrologer. If you have your chart, look to where the Sagittarius part of your chart is. That will tell you the life domain highlighted at the eclipse. The other thing to know is that for the eclipse to signify a big change, it usually is close by degree to something in your chart.
For some, the eclipse sign and degree isn’t activating anything, and so it signifies this eclipse is less potent. Eclipses do signify big change, just not for everyone. Even if nothing in your chart is activated, there is a great chance someone you know will be impacted. Keep that in mind as we go through the weekend and be sensitive to your close ones. The energy can show up after the actual new moon as well.
The energy of an eclipse can show up during the timeframe of the two weeks following, or during the six months after. Some astrologers say a year. Again it depends on how your chart becomes activated individually. This particular eclipse is happening at what astrologers call the south node. Every eclipse that happens will take place at either the North or South Node. When it’s the north node, it is about stepping into something new, while the south node is about letting things go.
So you can see the twist here of having a new moon which is typically about new beginnings, refreshing something, or taking something to the next phase. This new moon asks that you evaluate and release any obstacles in the way of pushing forward.
As part of your new moon ritual this month, I recommend you include a releasing ritual. You can draw on some ideas from the full moon releasing rituals I wrote here. I am not saying to treat this new moon like a full moon, but to do a releasing ritual as part of your new moon intentions.
If you have your chart, look at the Sagittarius and Gemini parts or houses for clues as to the life domain that this energy will show up. The Gemini part will represent the north node part, the future, and direction forward. The Sagittarius will show you ideas of life topics where releasing old outworn ways could benefit you by releasing them.
The last thing to note about this particular eclipse is that it is the last one in this cycle of Sagittarius and Gemini eclipses. The next set of eclipses in these signs won’t take place again until 2029. Eclipse cycles run through a particular pair of signs until they move on to the next pair.
We are moving into a cycle of Scorpio and Taurus eclipses. We just had the Taurus full moon eclipse last month, so we are in the process of a cycle change. That means that whatever has been highlighted by eclipses for the last year and a half is shifting to a different part of your chart. It is significant that this is the last of this cycle of Sagittarius and Gemini eclipses because it also symbolizes the ending of a cycle.
The releases, renewals, and new beginnings are significant at this time, especially if your chart has been activated by this cycle of eclipses. It’s an exciting time for change. It’s a time for releasing and renewing. It’s the most wonderful time of the year. That holiday song just started playing in my ear. How fitting for this blog.
This Sagittarius new moon and solar eclipse is a time for checking in with how you have experienced fate in life, and how you want to move on with your free will. It’s about getting clear about what you want and how you are going to go for it.
Use your free will to direct your life, and be honest and realistic about what you are willing to do, what you can do, and what resources you will need along the way. One of the core values of my practice is visualizing the future AND taking action in the present.
What that means is that a dream or vision is only that until you decide to make it real. You make it real by spending more time in the present doing something about it than daydreaming about it endlessly. This Sagittarius new moon is about taking strategic action toward your dreams.
Sagittarius New Moon Solar Eclipse Path and Visibility
This eclipse is a total solar eclipse and you may be wondering if you will be able to see it. According to TimeAndDate.com, the visibility of the total eclipse will be in Antartica. So unless you plan on being in Antartica, you won’t be able to see the total eclipse unless you watch it online. There will be partial visibility in South Africa, parts of the south parts of Africa, Australia, or South America.
Here’s a link where you can see the map of the eclipse and check your location.
Natural Health and Astrology
Every month I co-host a show called Natural Health and Astrology with Health Coach and Naturopath Annabelle Fraser. We talk about the emotional quality of the New Moon and how to use essential oils to work with the lunar energy.
This month’s Sagittarius New Moon topic is ‘Release and Renew’Lori and Annabelle, Episode 21 Natural Health and Astrology
This essential oil recommendation we talk about in the Sagittarius New Moon video is Lemongrass for cleansing and clearing. It’s also part of a blend from doTerra called Purify. You can contact Annabelle for purchasing doTerra oils.
Lemongrass is Annabelle’s choice this month for an essential oil to help us release blocked emotions, when we are feeling stuck, or want to release toxic energy. Lemongrass is a good emotional cleanser. It helps us in the process of releasing and renewing in new directions.
Lemongrass is a great one to diffuse or inhale from your hands or the bottle. It has a powerful and aromatic scent. You may be familiar with it in Thai dishes and can be used in cooking.
On a physical level it can be used for digestion in a capsule or topically on the skin as a skin tonic for purifying the skin. It has properties that are anti-inflammatory, anti-parasitic, astringent, and a sedative in an uplifting way that is calming. It mixes well with wild orange and clove for a nice holiday blend. Remember to consult your physician before using essential oils.
Check out this month’s Sagittarius new moon video on my Astrology Facebook page. For more information on natural health and gut health, contact Annabelle, or join her private Facebook group Natural Health Italy.
Sagittarius New Moon Intentions
- Do your new moon intentions Saturday or Sunday.
- Allow your mind to be stimulated and capture your thoughts by journaling.
- Set releasing and renewing new moon intentions.
- Meditate on what you can leave behind in 2021.
- Do this end of year new moon ritual:
- Write about what you are grateful for from 2021.
- Write a list of what you achieved or accomplished in 2021.
- List what you are happy to leave behind in 2021.
- Write what you want to achieve and experience in 2022.
- Make an appointment with Annabelle and/or myself for 2022 health and goal planning.
Releasing and Renewing Things to do over the Sagittarius New Moon Cycle
- Combine a releasing ritual with your new moon intentions.
- Schedule some time to review your calendar for efficiency. If there are things that take up your time that do not lead you toward your long term goals, figure out how you can release them.
- Socialize with your network.
- Take note of all your relationships and how or where some of them may be due for change, evaluation, or introspection.
- Write your first draft of goals for 2022.
- Think about what you want to commit to in 2022.
- Start by thinking about your long-term goals and work backwards. Then write action goals and to-do lists for the next year.
- You have 3 months of intensified energy related to how you relate with others. What are some relationships that could benefit from intense reflection? Journal about it.
- Research education programs or long distance travel options you are interested in. It may not be the time to purchase, but a good time to start formulating what you want, and what you don’t want. Get it down on paper.
- Socializing can be very fun at this time. It can also give you a preview of where intensity may show up in how you relate to your network, and where more evaluation is called for.
- Offer mentoring through a non-profit organization, or sign-up for a mentor. If you have been thinking about getting a coach, now is a great time.
- Get out and get some fresh air. If horses are involved even better!
- No access to horses, a horse carousel will work too!
- Luck is in the air, Sagittarius is a lucky sign. Put on an optimistic mindset like the clothes you wear and spend time on the things you are trying to manifest right now.
- Take action!
- See a comedy movie or do things that make you belly laugh so hard you cry.
Sagittarius New Moon Inspirational Quote
“Change is supremely inconvenient, uncomfortable and naturally scary. Yet we only move through life through the process of change, reinvention and renewal, and so bravery is our quintessential rebel for pushing us past our own limiting beliefs and behaviors. Bravery is feeling the fear, immersing yourself into it and through it so you can come out the other side.”— Christine Evangelou
Release and Renew Journaling Prompts
- What relationships bring me fulfillment?
- What relationships feel draining? How can you make changes to bring balance?
- You have 3 months of intensified energy related to how you relate with others. What are some relationships that could benefit from intense reflection?
- What are your favorite things to do? How can you work them into your schedule more often?
- What has meaning and purpose in your life? How can you experience more of that in the next year?
- Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 15, and 20 years from now?
- Based on the above, what actions can you take in the next year to move in the direction of your long-term goals?
Astrology Aspects of this New Moon for Astrologers
- Sun, Moon, and Mercury conjunct.
- Mars Scorpio applying square to Jupiter Aquarius (ruler new moon), 2 degrees.
- Saturn in Aquarius is applying to Uranus retrograde in Taurus square, 2 degrees.
- Venus conjunct Pluto, applying 3 degrees.
December is an intense month with a lot of astrological events. There are three major events to pay attention to. The Sagittarius new moon solar eclipse at the beginning of the month, Venus retrograde, and the last meeting of Saturn and Uranus. This months new moon blog covers all of this and more. If you want to read more on this months energy, check out the December 2021 horoscopes.