This is the basic New Moon Ritual that you can use every month along with the monthly new moon blog and video. This is a general foundation and the monthly new moon blog and video have a lot more information based on the sign of the New Moon and the unique astro-weather of the sky on that date.
You can add or change anything in this ritual to make your ritual unique just for you. Here is a link to the monthly New Moon blog which is on the Astroblog page:
This is a great starting place for beginners who are beginning their monthly new moon practice. It is also a reference and guide for those who have been doing new moon rituals for years. There is no right or wrong way to do your ritual. In the end you want to find what speaks to your heart and practice it with mindful attention.
Prepare: Get your New Moon Materials in Advance
- Get your supplies together ahead of time so when the new moon phase comes you are already prepared.
- Schedule with your family, kids, and house mates so you have a quiet space where you will not be interrupted.
- If you don’t already have your New Moon Intentions journal, get one, it will join you on your life journey.
- I journal in different colors depending on my mood, you may want to get some colored pens or pencils.
- Gather your Vision Board materials if you plan on doing a visual representation (e.g. magazines, glue stick, scissors, stickers, background design paper).
- I always journal for the New Moon, and sometimes when I have time I vision board as well.
- I use the same journal for both.
- It has become an invaluable resource for my own personal self-development to have this journal.
- Over time, you will see how therapeutic it can be to have a monthly intention setting ritual. This journal will become a way for you to reflect back on your progress and development in life.
- Remember to start your ritual after the New Moon phase begins and not before. The time for each monthly new moon can be found on the blog written for that date. You will find the monthly guides here.
The New Moon Ritual
- Start by setting your space, light your candles, diffuse essential oils, put on soft music and turn off all electronics.
- Get comfortable and start mindful breathing by focusing on your inhale and exhale taking long and deep breaths.
- Let your intentions pour out through your pen or vision board.
- Focus on what you want only, not what you don’t want. If you are struggling with this, imagine what it would look like if what you don’t want doesn’t exist. Then build it up to what you do want. Reframe it to the opposite – what you want instead.
- Hold your intentions in your mind and create a visualization of achieving your intentions. Imprint that visualization in your mind so you can return to it over the next few weeks as a reminder.
- Write a mantra that you can use to help manifest your intentions and hang it up where you can see it. Like your bathroom mirror or refrigerator.
- Write and say a statement of gratitude.
- Make your closing statement (e.g. thank you, so mote it be, I am ready to receive).
- Ease out of your ritual slowly and gently. Stretch and relax.
After your New Moon Ritual
- Go for a walk, take a bath, cook a healthy meal, have a cup of tea, or sit outside and be present in the moment.
- Try to avoid noisy and chaotic atmospheres.
- If possible, leave electronics off the rest of the day or at least an hour after you finish.
- Enjoy soft music, dance, do yoga or stretch and enjoy being you!
- Hold your visualization as long as you can to train your brain to return to it, like a habit. This process helps attract and manifest your intentions.
- Return to your visualization daily, imagining it has already happened. It works best if you do it at the same time every day. Make it part of your morning or night time routine for example.
- Identify the steps you need to take to reach what you have visualized as part of your intention setting. Implement the first step within the 2 weeks after you write your new moon intentions.
- Write your mantra on a piece of paper and put it where you can see it every day. Say your mantra every day, as often as possible. This is like self-coaching yourself to success.
- Look at your past journal entries and intentions from time to time. This is especially important when you write your annual goals or any other goal planning time period.
- If you made a vision board, leave it out where you can see it or hang it up. Take a picture of it and make it your background screen image. Meditate on your vision board and imagine yourself taking the steps needed to achieve your goals.
- Reveling in the achievement of the goal and visualization is a fantastic motivator. But make sure you don’t get stuck there. Incorporate visualizations of doing the things that help you make the journey to manifesting what you want. You will be more likely to take practical action towards your intentions when you spend time mapping out the journey. Write up to-do lists based on the ideas you create during your visualizations.
A Note on Eclipses
Did you know that eclipses happen at the new and full moons? Yep they are related. Usually eclipses happen twice a year and they come in pairs. When an eclipses occur I talk about them in my monthly moon guides along with the other astro-weather that is happening at the same time.
Check out my Astroblog or sign up for my emails below and you will get this information delivered to your inbox.
If you want to get more information on the dates, times, and visibility of eclipses, this is a site I like. For more information on the astrology of eclipses, I wrote up information you can find in my blog called ‘Eclipses in Astrology.’
Free Moon Guides
Get monthly new and full moon resources delivered to your mailbox by entering your email below.
In the monthly guides I include ideas that incorporate the elements (earth, air, fire and water), the zodiac signs, and notable configurations in the sky like retrogrades, planets changing signs, and important relationships between the planets.