Capricorn New Moon Date and Time
Friday 23 December
2:17 AM, West Coast, USA
5:17 AM, East Coast, USA
10:53 AM, Rome, Italy
1 degree Capricorn
Capricorn New Moon Overview
The theme for the Capricorn new moon is: Strategic Reflection for the New Year
Our last new moon of the year is one that we can work with in a strategic and reflective way. The Capricorn new moon comes just a few days after the December solstice marking the shortest or longest day of the year depending on your hemisphere.
The solstice is a reminder to self-evaluate when and where in life you may be going to extremes and to put into action things that will bring you into balance. With Mars already retrograde and Mercury going retrograde soon, reflection is a great way to move through this holiday season.
The rest of 2022 brings us a period where we can greatly benefit from reflection and put some strategy behind what to do with what we discover. That is because of the significant amount of Capricorn energy that surrounds this new moon.
A new moon always means the Sun and Moon are in the same sign, Capricorn in this case. At the time of the Capricorn new moon, Venus, Mercury, and Pluto will be traveling through Capricorn as well. That is a significant amount of Capricorn energy. Capricorn is a sign that is determined, strategic, practical, and grounded. The challenging nature of Capricorn is to be rigid, cold, controlling, stuffy, and miserly like the scrooge.
To make the most out of Capricorn, go about doing things in a structured, disciplined, and practical way. Capricorns appreciate the finer things in life and tend to build a strong material foundation. These are things that you can focus in as you set your intentions and move through the holiday season. Put on your strategic Capricorn hat and navigate the retrograde waters through the season.
The holidays are a time of gathering, celebrating, and spending time with those we love. This can also be a time where many people are reminded of things from the past. When we get together with family, those we have known our whole life, we can’t help but experience some memories from the past. If you have difficult memories from the past with your family, this year may be one where you can rectify unresolved things.
As we move toward the end of the calendar year 2022, many of us are writing up our goals for 2023. You may want to leave the concept of ‘new year resolutions’ behind and focus more on goal setting for 2023. The Capricorn new moon sets up the atmosphere for writing practical goals and a strategy for how to achieve them. You may find it easier to write goals when you reflect back on what you accomplished in 2022.
People who write down goals statistically achieve their goals more often than those who do not. This year the universe is reflecting down to us a nice mix of vibrations to close out 2022 and prepare for 2023.
We have the Capricorn energy to help us be strategic. We have the retrogrades to help us reflect, review, and realign. We have the solstice reminding us to be aware of where we are out of balance and going to extremes so we can bring parts of our life back into balance. We have the end of a calendar year to reflect back on and a new year coming to set goals for.
Many people have some extra time off at the end of the year and I hope you are one of them. Though the holiday season can add more to your schedule to fill up that time off, try to take some time for yourself to review, reflect, and plan for how to ring out 2022 and ring in 2023.
The Capricorn new moon takes place at 1 degree Capricorn. It is a young new moon in a sign known for its maturity. It’s like an old soul in a new body. The new moon happens at the beginning of Capricorn indicating a youthfulness and renewal combined with wisdom, experience, and determination. Capricorn is a sign that thrives on achievement and can handle challenges thrown their way.
This early Capricorn new moon has a freshness to it as it takes place in the first degree of the sign. Maybe some of that Sagittarius optimism from earlier in the month is leftover as we move into the new moon. Or maybe you can relate to the idea of a wise and mature person who is young at heart. Or the old soul being born into a new body.
The Capricorn new moon may be young, but it will be serious, determined, and grounded. This new moon can be strategic, productive, and insightful. Take advantage of the new moon to take what you have learned in 2022 to plan for a fruitful 2023.
I highly recommend to be strategic about what invitations you say yes to over the holiday season. That is because this is such a great time to do some soul searching, planning, evaluation, and goal setting. Schedule some time just for yourself this season.
The December solstice took place on Wednesday, 21 December. It marks the time of the year when the Sun enters the sign Capricorn. It is the longest or shortest day of the year depending on which hemisphere you live in and is the opposite of the Cancer solstice in June.
These periods of time, where we have the extreme ends of the dark and light of the Sun, marks a natural cycle symbolically related to balance. The solstices remind us of how we can go to the extreme ends of something, and come back to center.
I read an interesting article I wanted to share with you from timeanddate.com. Their research shows that the Northern Hemisphere’s shortest day is getting longer and the Southern Hemisphere’s longest day is getting shorter. Interesting right?
If you want to read about it, go to the article here: https://www.timeanddate.com/news/astronomy/shortest-daylength-2022
I like to be reminded by the solstices to pay attention to balance in life. It’s a great reminder to ask yourself if you are generally balanced in the different areas of life, or significantly out of balance. This year Mars is retrograde at the time of the solstice and Mercury is already in the pre-shadow before going retrograde at the end of December. The retrogrades will help you reflect back and evaluate how well balanced you are.
As part of your new moon ritual, set intentions for bringing into balance any area of life where you are unbalanced. If you find that you are maintaining balance in the different areas of your life, give yourself some well-deserved praise.
Remember not to look for a lack of balance if there isn’t any. And be honest about situations in your life where you are out of balance, even if it is difficult to accept that you are unbalanced. Consider the different areas of life like family, friends, work, hobbies, self-care, and your leisure time. We all fall out of balance periodically in life. It’s important to recognize when you are out of balance so you can put together a plan.
Be gentle with yourself if a change is needed to find balance. Sometimes life makes quick fixes difficult, if not impossible. Capricorn is about strategic problem solving and the long-term. It’s important to make decisions that will present the best outcomes in the long-run under Capricorn energy. Capricorn is connected with time and distance.
Solutions you develop now will last a long time. Quick fixes are unlikely to manifest, and if they do, they may not last as long as you had hoped for. Think quality over quantity and long-lasting over immediate gratification. Set a timeline that is achievable, even if it may take months or even years to complete. Under the Capricorn new moon you can set up a long-term plan to achieve something big that you have always wanted.
If you do goals every year, but you don’t look ahead more than the next year, try doing long-term goals this year. Set you sights on five, ten, or even twenty years.
Capricorn New Moon and Planetary Influences
Every year we have a new moon in Capricorn. What sets each year apart from another are the other active planetary influences. This year we have a stellium in Capricorn, that is five bodies traveling through the sign: Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury, and Pluto.
Plus we have Mars retrograde and Mercury in its pre-retrograde shadow. Planets making connections with other planets are Jupiter to the Sun and Moon with a growth oriented push to take action on something, Venus sextile Uranus, and Mercury sextile Neptune.
Stellium in Capricorn: Sun, Moon, Venus, Mercury and Pluto
There is a pile up in the sign of Capricorn at the new moon. This is what gives this time period a grounded feeling. You will have increased productivity in the Capricorn part of your chart. If you need a strategy to get something done, this can help. What you develop now can have a lasting or long-term quality to it.
What gives this strategic and practical new moon a boost is that Saturn, the ruling planet of Capricorn, is traveling through its other sign Aquarius. This is a great position for Saturn. Where you put effort will pay off as Saturn likes to reward hard work.
To know more about how you can tap into extra strategy and productivity during this new moon phase, get a copy of your chart and find what house Capricorn resides. Look for the house where Aquarius is as well because Saturn is traveling through that part of your chart.
If you don’t have your chart, you can get it free using an online calculator like this one. To learn more about houses and their meaning in astrology, read my article here.
Jupiter Moves into Aries
Jupiter has officially finished its voyage through Pisces and is now in Aries. It won’t be back in Pisces for another twelve years. Aries rejoice! Fire signs Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius will all feel a boost from Jupiter visiting Aries. Air signs Libra, Gemini and Aquarius may feel some positive vibes from this placement as well.
The Capricorn new moon is in a square relationship with Jupiter. This can mean an extra boost of energy, or something that challenges you, or pushes you, to take action. This action will likely result in something better.
It’s the type of energy that gets you moving, even if you don’t want to. When things are going smoothly and easy, we aren’t as inclined to take action. But when something happens that disrupts our ability to glide along, we have to take action.
Jupiter’s alignment with the new moon is a catalyst to get moving on something. It indicates that if you take action, you are likely to look back and realize that you made progress on something. The involvement of Jupiter usually indicates that a situation will improve.
Aries and Capricorn are both action oriented signs. They are leadership signs, but they each lead in different ways. Take advantage of this time period to push forward something. It’s best to focus on something that has already started, or something unfinished from the past. This is because of the retrograde energy happening at the same time as the new moon.
With Jupiter in Aries squaring the Sun and new Moon, a great opportunity can come from awareness of what needs to be renewed, realigned, or relaunched. It can be a good time to take a new approach to resolving unfinished business.
Mars and Mercury Retrogrades
Mars retrograde will shape the pace of time and energy, slowing you down so you can rest, reflect, and detangle true priorities from things that distract your time and energy from doing what has true meaning and purpose for you in life.
Though many of us have time off for the holidays, we also have an increase in social activities and family get-togethers. Try to balance your schedule so that you get some extra free time for yourself.
We only have a few more weeks to work with the Mars retrograde cycle before it goes direct on January 12. After that, there will be a post-shadow time period to wrap up what you are working on as part of your Mars retrograde self-development.
Mercury is going retrograde on December 29 in Capricorn. You will have an opportunity to work with both Mars and Mercury retrograde at the same time. Mercury will go direct on January 18. Mercury retrograde cycles help bring to light where reflection, review, and realignment is needed. You can read more about Mercury retrograde here.
Retrograde cycles are one of nature’s ways to help us spiral upward rather than feel pressured to always move forward, upward, constantly doing more (new and better) rather than slowing down, looking backward, purifying, evaluating, and realigning what we have already started. Retrograde cycles are about looking backward to move forward.
As this cycle is in the sign Capricorn, look to that part of your astrology chart to get more information on the part of life to focus on as you work with the Mercury retrograde cycle. You can learn more about the astrology houses here.
By late early February, the Mercury cycle will wrap up its post-shadow period. Mars moves direct on January 12. You will have until mid-March to wrap up Mars retrograde post-shadow activities.
Here are the Mercury retrograde dates for your calendar:
- Pre-shadow Begins: 3 December 2022 – 8 degrees 8 minutes Capricorn
- Retrograde Begins: 29 December 2022 – 24 degrees 21 minutes Capricorn
- Retrograde Ends: 18 January 2023
- Post-shadow Ends: 7 February 2023
- Sign of Retrograde: Capricorn
Venus Trine Uranus
Venus is trine Uranus when the Capricorn new moon phase begins. This indicates an environment to have brilliant insight which can be grounded, practical and strategic. Brilliant insight can suddenly and unexpectedly come in the form of new ideas, innovative problem solving, and new ways to work with others. It can also represent a need to have more time for yourself and less oriented toward others.
Other people may inspire ideas or you may find that through your social network you come up with new ideas to address unresolved business. Venus is about our relating style and it is connecting with Uranus. Uranus is about freedom, innovation, doing things differently, and likes independence.
You may find that you may want to socialize a bit differently this year than usual over the holidays. You may also want to be more charitable toward others in need and get more involved in reform to help others who are suffering or have less.
Mercury Sextile Neptune
Mercury sextile Neptune indicates access to inspiration, creativity, and vision. This can be particularly helpful as you work on new year goals. It can either help you with creative ideas or it can indicate some confusion and loss when it comes to seeing a clear path forward.
Sometimes you have to move forward on faith and trust when you can’t see a clear path forward. Capricorn loves to control and Neptune loves to speak in a mystical language that is about instincts rather than clarity making it difficult to control a situation. Controlling a Neptunian situation is like holding fog in your fingers, you just can’t get a grip on something so nebulous.
You may find that you have to feel and trust your way through the season. But with all this Capricorn energy, it’s not a time to sit idle. Take action, put in effort but in a strategic way, and trust your instincts.
You will get farther along if you trust in your faith and instincts than trying to control a situation. If you are struggling to find clear intellectual answers, tune into your gut instincts and ask your muses to send you signals.
This is a flowing type of connection and indicates that you may be more creative than usual, especially if you can relax and allow yourself to connect in to the energy surrounding you. Creative solutions may be more easily found. The best way to tap into increased creativity is to engage in creative things and accept that you cannot control everything, but you can tune in to what’s happening and focus on staying present in the moment.
Vision boarding during the new moon can be a very enjoyable activity. It could be something you do with your friends too. Enjoy this creative and inspirational energy. Let go of trying to control and just be. Do things that you love. The things that you get so involved in that you lose track of time. Get in the flow so that creativity can flow back into you.
Essential Oils for the Capricorn New Moon
- Vetiver for grounding the Capricorn energy. It helps with focus and concentration. It is best diffused when you desire regeneration, reassurance, and endurance.
- Frankincense to tap into your spirituality, especially if feeling overly rooted and in need of liberating your spirit and engaging with the Neptunian world.
- Juniper Berry for insight, emotional balance, and revitalization.
- Peppermint to invigorate, for cooling, and to help adapt. It is great for headaches, migraines, and upset stomach.
- Sandalwood for inspiration, meditation, yoga, and to invite calm and relaxation in your life. Sandalwood and Frankincense blend well together.
- Clary Sage for enlightenment and balance. Works great with peppermint for cooling, especially for those of you experiencing hot flashes.
- Wild orange to support exhaustion and increase productivity. It is uplifting, invigorating, and renewing. A great essential oil to diffuse during Mars retrograde.
- Spearmint to refresh your spirit, lift up your mood, sooth agitation, and promote tranquility.
Capricorn New Moon Intentions
- Do your new moon intentions after the new moon phase begins.
- Set new moon intentions to include a serious and practical review and reflection of this year.
- Set intentions about how you can blend creativity, insight, and strategy. This is a fertile time for applying lessons learned from the past to creative problem solving and solution finding.
- We have a great opportunity during the Capricorn new moon cycle to get organized and strategic as we move into a new year and season. Set new moon intentions around that.
- The solstice calls our attention to where we are going too far away from our center in our lives, and where we find ourselves living a balanced life. Set intentions to reflect on our life and how balanced we are in the different areas of life like career, family, romance, spirituality, friends, leisure time, and self-care. Take it to the next step and strategize on the actions to take in order to bring more balance into your life.
Capricorn New Moon Activities
- Review your goals from last year and write a progress report. Focus on what you accomplished only. For anything that didn’t go as planned, write about the valuable lessons you learned about those things.
- Take a proactive approach to finding balance in your schedule. Put your leisure time and self-care time in your calendar so you can have a visual reminder about keeping the balance between obligations and what you want to do with your time.
- Write your goals for 2023. This is a great time to get clear and strategic on what you want next year to look like.
- As the holiday season can be a more social time, be strategic with your social engagements to ensure you are watching out for your self-care.
- We are past the halfway mark of Mars retrograde and moving into Mercury retrograde. Any type of activity regarding people from the past, going to places you have been before, or clearing out old unfinished business are all great activity ideas.
- Social events can take on a serious but fun tone. Just like Sagittarius likes game night for the fun of it, under the Capricorn new moon, it game night can be fun as it takes on a competitive tone and games that challenge the mind. Like Trivial Pursuit. Or long games of strategy like Monopoly and Chess.
- With the stellium in Capricorn, this is a great time to get together for a power meeting. Whether it’s a work brainstorming meeting, or a bunch of talented musicians wanting to jam together. Get your power team together. There is creativity and inspiration in the air, and you will want to capture what you create because it could have long-term benefits.
‘The inner fire is the most important thing mankind possesses.’– Edith Södergran
‘You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.’– Maya Angelou
‘They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.’– Andy Warhol
Capricorn New Moon Journaling Prompts
- What have you accomplished this year? Think about what you are proud of and include any major steps of achievement you have made toward a large goal.
- What are you happy to leave behind in 2022? For example, a relationship that you are ready to move on from, completing a course of study, or having to work two jobs because you make enough from one now. It can be things you liked too, but happy to have completed so you can move on.
- What non-material resources do you have in your life that will help you realize your vision of 2023? It can be people, skills, experience, education, optimism, basically anything that’s not money. These are the things that will help you get what you want.
- How grounded are you? Write about how practical and realistic you are about your goals for 2023. If you feel like you need some inspiration, write about what inspires you. If you feel like you need to get more grounded, write about what helps you stay practical and realistic.
- Moon 1 Capricorn conjunct Sun 1 Capricorn
- Capricorn Stellium: Sun/Moon 1 Capricorn, Venus 16 Capricorn, Mercury 21 Capricorn, Pluto 27 Capricorn
- Sun/Moon 1 Capricorn square Jupiter 0 Aries
- Venus 16 Capricorn trine Uranus 15 Taurus
- Mercury 21 Capricorn sextile Neptune 22 Pisces
The new moon in December is reflecting access to a productive holiday season. We can collectively review our past year in a realistic and pragmatic manner, and be inspired to plan our strategy for the next year with our feet on the ground and our creative and wise muses whispering inspirational ideas and strategy for the new year.