The Aries New Moon looks to be super outgoing and dynamic. In addition to the creative and initiating energy that is already building now, there will be a layer of intensity hanging over it all. This energy can help focus all this dynamic energy, or it can make it explosive.
Aries New Moon Date and Time
Sunday 11 April or Monday 12 April
7:31pm West Coast, USA – April 11
10:31pm East Coast, USA – April 11
4:31am Rome, Italy – 12 April
Since we can have vastly different experiences of the Moon phases depending on our personal charts, it’s important to reflect upon the spectrum of possibilities you could experience, and apply what resounds with you.
Elemental Focus: Air and Fire, limited Earth and Water
Those of you with lots of air (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius) and fire signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) in your chart may feel super motivated, full of energy, and bursting with ideas.
Those with lots of water and earth may feel pushed out of their comfort zone, irritable, and craving creature comforts. Actually indulging in these creative comforts may be challenging as the energy is pushing outward, external and dynamic. Creature comforts are usually home and security based – but you know yourself better than I so follow your intuition.
You could say there is a rush of energy that has an impulsive feeling, childlike excitement, curiosity, and creative ideas for how to run after what you want. The caution is that you may go too fast and skip details. So be strategic about how much caution you throw to the wind.
Many of you have a mix of elements in your chart (air, fire, earth, water), and will experience a mix of the above. This month’s New Moon is unique because there are so many planets in air and fire signs. Air feeds fire, so you can just imagine how this energy is being fanned.
The First New Moon after the Equinox
Keep in mind that this is a New Moon, directing our focus to what we want to start, build, and grow. What intentions do we want to plant? These intentions grow over the next month, and year. Intentions you set now grow with the vegetation being planted in the Norther Hemisphere. The flowers and gardens of spring are all being planted right now.
This is the first New Moon since the Equinox last month. Spring has sprung, the time has jumped forward, the days are longer, and the new seasonal cycle is under way. This is the time of the year to plant your new seeds and plan for your new growth.
How to Prepare for the Aries New Moon
Have you been spring cleaning? Are you making room in your life to grow something special this cycle? This is the time to prepare for planting your seed of intentions. The Aries New Moon every year symbolically is the time to get those seeds in the ground, in your mind, in your emotions, in your physical body, at work, at home, and in your relationships.
This months New Moon comes just after the weekend. The days leading up to the New Moon are when the sky is getting darker and the embers of the old cycle are transitioning to dust to make room for the new one starting.
This weekend, before the New Moon, as the planets are ramping up with their dynamic energy, clear out what needs to be moved out. This can be mental thoughts, emotional baggage, and physical cobwebs of inertia after the long winter.
During these dark days before the New Moon, called the Balsamic phase, we usually advise to go slow, take it easy and rest. But because there is so much dynamic energy in the air, this time is wisely used by clearing out and preparing space for your Aries New Moon ritual.
If your schedule allows it, clear some space on Monday to honor this New Moon with action. Whatever it is you want to accomplish this next month, or this next year, Monday or Tuesday is a great time to plant those seeds.
You may have an emotional goal, a physical goal, a work or relationship goal. Whatever it is, kick it off Monday or Tuesday just after the Moon enters her New Moon phase. Spend the weekend preparing.
How Assertive Are You?
In honor of Aries, I wrote an article on assertiveness and each zodiac sign, you can read it here. Be sure to read for your Sun sign, Moon sign, and rising or ascendant. You may get some ideas of how to assert yourself in a healthy way if this is an area you struggle with.
Balance is always the ideal. We all sway too far in one direction or the other at times, but if we lovingly assert ourselves in a healthy way regularly, that is balance. I mean, who hasn’t yelled while driving in rush hour traffic, or snuffed at a line cutter, right?
Being assertive as part of your nature isn’t about a single incident, it’s how you make sure your voice is heard without drowning out others. We have 12 flavors of assertion by zodiac sign, and then we mix up the signs that are in our chart. This gives us each our own unique assertive nature or character.
I hope you enjoy reading reading the article, ‘How Assertive Are You?.’
Using Essential Oils for Healthy Self-Assertion and the Aries New Moon
Every month I co-host a show called Natural Health and Astrology with Health Coach and Naturopath Annabelle Fraser. We talk about the emotional quality of the New Moon and how to use essential oils to work with the lunar energy.
This month our focus is on healthy self-assertion. One of the main keywords for the astrology sign Aries is assertiveness.
To join us live every month, join the Facebook group Natural Health Italy. Or you can watch the replay, which will be available right after we record on my Astrology Facebook page. We record monthly on the Friday before the New Moon.
When we hold back our healthy assertive nature, we can be mistaken for being weak, lacking opinion, or for a carpet to walk on. When we are overly assertive, it can lead to aggression, which can be violent and is disrespectful to others and the person displaying the behavior.
Healthy self-assertion is when we stand up for ourself, using our voice, in a respectful but firm way.
All of the Essential Oil recommendations below are from Annabelle, and you can purchase the oils from her as well. She can be reached here. We talk about these oils in the Aries New Moon episode of Natural Health and Astrology called ‘Healthy Self-Assertion.’
Ginger for Empowerment
Ginger essential oil fits well with the fiery Aries energy. It is the oil of Empowerment. Ginger addresses patterns of victim mentality and empowers us to take on a more warrior like mentality. It can help us feel empowered to choose our own destinies without waiting for outside life circumstances to change.
Ginger must be diluted when applied to the skin as it is a very hot and fiery oil. Almond or coconut oils are recommended oil carriers for essential oils. Rub the diluted oil on the soles of your feet or the solar plexus.
Lavender for Stress
When we are in a position of needing to assert ourselves in a healthy manner, we are often times experiencing stress. At this time of the year we have four planets moving through Aries, the Sun, Moon, Mercury and Venus. That is a lot of Aries energy and you may try to do too many things at once or in a short time frame which results in burn out, and its friend stress.
When we feel that energetic rush of enthusiasm, we can over do it, and that is what is likely under this super dynamic Aries presence. So a good way to help your body relax and release from stress is to inhale some lavender.
I am just going to say it right now, I love Lavender. I have a bottle almost everywhere in my environment. On my desk, in the bathroom and kitchen, and in my purse. If you don’t own a bottle of lavender essential oil, please get one. You won’t regret it.
You will feel more relaxed just breathing it in. Put a few drops in your hands and cup over your mouth and nose. Presto, you feel better.
Lavender for Headaches
Why are we talking about headaches? Well, Aries rules the head, and often times people with significant Aries energy in their chart experience headaches. With 4 planets traveling through this sign this month, you may experience a headache. Plus the season is changing and headaches often accompany changes in the air.
The Sun and Moon each rule one eye, and they will both be in Aries (with Venus and Mercury). Eye tension is often a cause of headaches so do be aware of the tension and eye throbbing headaches during this period. Though this is highlighted now due to the Aries energy, this oil will work year round easing headache pain and to help relax during stressful times.
Apply diluted lavender to your forehead, temples and back of your neck. Put a few drops on your hands and breathe it in by cupping your hands over your mouth and nose.
Lavender isn’t the only headache essential oil. Another one is Peppermint. I have gotten headaches regularly for decades and recently started getting migraines with peri-menopause onset. Personally, I get significant relief from using these two essential oils together. Sometimes they do the trick without using ibuprofen or prescription migraine medication. I really love lavender!
Peppermint for Headaches
Dilute the peppermint essential oil in a carrier oil like almond or coconut. They apply to the forehead, temples, and back of the neck. You can also inhale peppermint essential oil from your cupped hand.
Peppermint will help energize you if you are feeling tired, lethargic, or lacking concentration. If you go all out using this dynamic Aries energy, you may need a pick me up essential oil like peppermint.
Prepare for your Aries New Moon Ritual
Do you need to clean out the fire pit, BBQ, or fireplace? Maybe there is a room where you want to light a bunch of candles Monday for your ritual, prep it. If you do wardrobe switches, this weekend is a good time to swap out the seasonal clothing, and pick out something red to wear for your Aries New Moon ritual.
It’s also a good time to pick up some ritual items. Get some candles, red ones are perfect for this Aries New Moon. Get air purifiers like the essential oils mentioned above or white sage to burn. Go to your local metaphysical store or online and treat yourself to some goodies.
This month I am giving you a bunch of different ideas for how you can do your Aries New Moon ritual. Journal writing is a staple for me, every month, no matter what other fun things I add to my plan.
Think ahead so you can be ready for your ritual by using this list to help decide what you want to do, and what you want to have on hand for your ritual. The Aries New Moon will blanket planet earth with childlike energy and curiosity, let your creative juices flow.
Every New Moon has a symbolic meaning of a new beginning, new phase, building up, and refreshment. But not every New Moon takes place at the beginning of the seasonal cycle, the Vernal Equinox (which was March 20). So take advantage of this special time of the year and do some strategic intentions.
Aries New Moon Ritual Ideas
Add one or more of these ideas to your New Moon journal writing. If you feel driven and motivated to do something different, let the spirit move you. Plug in and feel it. This is dynamic energy we have going on.
These ideas should help you get started on creating your own super dynamic Aries New Moon ritual made just for you:
- Include fire in your ritual and anything metal, like iron art or candle holders
- Invoke warrior goddesses like Diana and Athena
- Light candles, red ones if you have them
- Dance around a fire pit or candle with childlike abandon dressed in red clothing chanting your intention(s)
- Use the color red to accentuate your ritual environment
- Get a head or facial massage, Aries rules the head
- Do ‘Stream of Consciousness’ writing – write all thoughts and feelings that pass through the mind without considering if they make sense
- Incorporate something innovative, creative, and/or adventurous into your ritual
- Plant something – maybe red flowers or chili peppers; or symbolically plant a new thought or idea you want to grow metaphorically over the next month or year
- Plant your intentions by writing them in your journal
- Take bold steps to do what you want to do and lovingly assert yourself
- Not what you think others want you to be or do
- Take a risk and step outside of your comfort zone – courage and bravery are more accessible at this time
- Focus on specific action steps to accomplish your goals, vision and dreams
Mixing the Air and Fire Elements
The unique mix of air and fire gives an extra boost in the creative ideas department. Where fire alone can skip steps and rush in without thinking, air is the thinker and will aid in putting some rationality in your ideas.
Air will help you think through your ideas and pull back on too much rashness. Put in the effort and let your creativity shine through. Be true to your heart, your desires, your unique individuality, and you will find yourself inspired and ready to manifest your awesomeness.
New Moon Ritual
Remember to start your ritual after the New Moon phase begins and not before. The time is at the top of this page.
- Get your supplies together ahead of time
- Schedule with your family and house mates so you have a quiet space where you will not be interrupted
- If you don’t already have your New Moon Intentions journal, get one
- I journal in different colors depending on my mood, you may want to get some colored pens or pencils
- Gather your Vision Board materials if you plan on doing a visual representation
- I always journal for the New Moon, and sometimes when I have time I vision board as well. I use the same journal for both. It has become an invaluable resource for my own personal self-development to have this journal. Over time, you will see how therapeutic it can be to have a monthly intention setting ritual.
- Start by setting your space, light your candles, diffuse essential oils, put on soft music and turn off all electronics
- Get comfortable and start mindful breathing by focusing on your inhale and exhale taking long and deep breaths
- Let your intentions pour out through your pen or vision board
- Focus on what you want only
- If you can only think of what you don’t want, reframe it to the opposite – what you do want instead
- Hold your intentions in your mind and create a visualization of achieving your intentions
- Write a mantra that you can use to help manifest your intentions
- Write and say a statement of gratitude
- Write and say your closing statement
- Ease out of your ritual slowly and gently
After your Ritual
- Go for a walk, take a bath, cook a healthy meal
- Try to avoid noisy and chaotic atmospheres
- If possible, leave electronics off, enjoy soft music, dance, do yoga or stretch and enjoy being you!
- Hold your visualization as long as you can to train your brain and attract manifesting your intentions
- Write your mantra on a piece of paper and put it where you can see it every day
- Say your mantra every day, as often as possible
- Remember your visualization and go back to it imagining it has already happened
- Look at your journal intentions from time to time
- If you made a vision board, leave it out where you can see it or hang it up
This is an adrenaline filled, creative, and refreshing New Moon in the sign of Aries. It’s special because it marks the first New Moon of the annual seasonal cycle, and also the astrological cycle of the signs. I hope you plant the seeds of happiness that grow and manifest throughout the year. Happy planting my friends!