Aquarius New Moon Dates and Times
Monday 31 January 2022
9:46pm, West Coast, USA
Tuesday 1 February 2022
12:46am, East Coast, USA
6:46am, Rome, Italy
12 degrees Aquarius
Aquarius New Moon
The new moon is in Aquarius, the sign of innovation, independence, rebellion, and humanitarianism. There is a tension in the air, a sort of static electricity. A feeling of wanting to move forward, yet constrained by circumstances.
The quality of energy of the Aquarius new moon is to innovate a new way to move forward. This is because of the planetary mix up of the Aquarius new moon and the planet of surprise, sudden, or unexpected change, Uranus. This tension can produce action, growth, challenge, and change.
Framing that in positive language, we need challenges to push us into action, and spiral upward. Without challenge and tension, the human race would likely fall into complacency, sameness, and boredom. This is a time when you could receive flashes of brilliant insight that produces new ideas, change, and excitement.
If you do get these lightning bolts of creative ideas, capture them. Write them down, paint them, vision board them, whatever medium works for you. It’s a time of tension between holding on rigidly to what is and feeling driven to innovate and implement something new.
The difficulty with this planetary configuration is feeling repulsed by change and rigidly and stubbornly refusing to accept change. Like Blockbuster Video (remember them) not taking online streaming seriously (don’t be like them). This new moon is asking you to be open to innovative change, to embrace change.
New moons are about looking forward, starting something new, taking something to the next level, and setting intentions for the next cycle. Aquarius is about innovation, having a humanitarian approach that wants to benefit humankind, and following the beat to your individual drum.
Uranus has a planetary energy of sudden and unexpected change. It is traveling through Taurus, which is a sign that prefers routine and the expected. This is where that tension comes in as the planetary cocktail mixes up Uranus Taurus with an Aquarian new moon.
It is possible to find a new way, and a new direction, in a surprising and innovative way. This potential at the Aquarius new moon has the practicality of Taurus if you can get past the stubborn desire to rebel against change.
This new moon is a great time to set new intentions based on what you have learned over the past 6 weeks. Where do you need to innovate, upgrade your routines, and free up some of your time?
The caution is to be aware of where you may have too much rigidity. Or in the opposite direction, too much elasticity. Aim for balanced flexibility. With Taurus involved, it is more likely that you will face something stubborn and rigid, finding excuses why change is not needed or wanted.
Try to be open when you notice hints of stubbornness pop up around you. Notice your words, resistance, and if you are holding a tight grip on what is or what used to be. If you prefer to put your head in the sand when new ways of doing things come up, it is a sure sign that you are not using balanced flexibility.
This new moon highlights where we may sink our feet in the mud and refuse to budge. But it is just as unproductive if we constantly change direction at the slightest hint of challenge. Balanced flexibility is being aware of when you are being too rigid, or too changeable.
If you have difficulty in this area, you would likely benefit from a coach, or an astrologer, or both, like me. Book a consultation with me to talk about your chart, and what it reflects about your style of flexibility: Too flexible, too rigid, or generally balanced.
Aquarius New Moon follows Venus Retrograde
This first week of February kicks off with a new moon where you have a chance to start thinking about which relationships in your life have been renewed, refreshed, realigned, or where unfinished business in a relationship with yourself or another has been cleared up from the past.
This is Venus retrograde stuff, and now that we are on the other side of the retrograde, it’s time to start looking forward. Venus went direct at the very end of January after a six-week retrograde. Venus is about our relating style with ourselves, others, and things.
The new moon is a great time to set some forward thinking intentions around what you experienced and learned from the time period of the Venus retrograde. It happened in the Capricorn part of your chart, which I talk more about in the February horoscopes.
We tend to think about relationships as romantic relationships. But in astrology, to gain a deeper understanding of how Venus retrograde shows up in your life, it’s important to know what life topic was activated in your personal horoscope (chart) by the retrograde.
It could be your significant other, a family member, friend, co-worker, employee, or aspects of yourself that needed your attention. The Aquarius new moon happens right as Venus is starting to go direct. As we go through the Aquarius new moon phase the first half of February, keep in mind that we are moving out of the Venus retrograde cycle as well.
I recommend setting some intentions around moving forward in relationships that experienced a renewal, refresh, or change of some kind over the last two months.
If you want to go deeper into your chart, you want to find out where Capricorn falls in your chart. That is which astrological house was activated in your personal horoscope, which is derived by your ascendant. You can find your ascendant quickly by using this free online ascendant calculator. You will need your birth date, time, and location.
Once you know your ascendant, you can find where Capricorn is in your chart by clicking over to my Astrology Houses page. Scroll towards the end of the blog to get the descriptions for each house and a diagram for each ascendant that shows you which house is Capricorn in your chart. If you want a refresher on the Venus retrograde, read about it here.
Aquarius New Moon Inspirational Quote
“If you want to do something new, you have to stop doing something old.”― Peter F. Drucker
Natural Health and Astrology
Every month I co-host a show called Natural Health and Astrology with Health Coach and Naturopath Annabelle Fraser. We talk about the emotional quality of the New Moon and how to use essential oils to work with the lunar energy.
This month’s Aquarius New Moon topic is ‘Moving Forward with Balanced Flexibility’Lori and Annabelle, Episode 25 Natural Health and Astrology
Annabelle’s essential oil choice for the Aquarius new moon is Cypress, the oil of motion and flow. It is a powerful oil that encourages energetic flow and emotional catharsis. Cypress works in the heart and mind chakras to create flexibility.
Cypress essential oil helps us tap into the ability to let go of the past by moving with the flow of life. It is great for those of us who try to force things in life rather than allowing them to unfold naturally.
To use Cypress essential oil, inhale from the bottle, diffuse or place drops in your hands and inhale, or apply 1-3 drops topically along the spine or the bottom of your feet.
You can contact Annabelle for purchasing doTerra essential oils. She can send them anywhere in the world with a promotional discount.
Check out this month’s Aquarius new moon video on my Astrology Facebook page. For more information on natural health and gut health, contact Annabelle, or join her private Facebook group Natural Health Italy.
Aquarius New Moon Intentions
- Do your new moon intentions Tuesday after the new moon phase begins.
- Set intentions around being open to innovative change and balanced flexibility.
- This is a great time to finalize your 2022 goals, and write them if you haven’t started.
- Do some creative problem solving. It is a time where you could be more detached and able to focus on a problem rationally.
- Do something new and different than usual. Shake up your routine and try something new.
- Appreciate what makes you uniquely you. Journal about it, or do something that highlights your special traits.
Aquarius New Moon Phase (2 weeks until the next Full Moon)
- Celebrate your uniqueness every day. Whether it is your style, a talent, a hobby, whatever it is that makes you feel uniquely you. Different from the rest. Do more of that over the next two weeks.
- Get together with your friends, online or in person.
- Expand your social network. Find new friends online, follow new people or groups, and send out invites to like minded people.
- Volunteer for a cause close to your heart.
- After Mercury goes direct on the 4th, evaluate your technological set-up and make upgrades as needed. This is best for the second week of February, as Mercury picks up speed and we are still in the new moon phase.
- Aquarius is an experimental sign. If there is something you have been wanting to try out, do it during this time period. Learn how to dance, take a class, or build your own computer. Whatever it is that you have been wanting to do, start it under this new moon phase.
- Think of new ways to do old routines. Now that Venus is direct, and Mercury will be soon, it’s time to take stock of what you have learned by looking backwards to do things differently moving forward.
- This is an air element sign. This means that socializing, thinking, and creating are all indicated. This is a good time to further develop any projects you are working on.
- If you are an inventor, this is a great time to focus on your projects, or start some new ones.
Aquarius New Moon Journaling Prompts
- What makes you uniquely you? What sets you apart from the rest?
- What do you love to create and innovate?
- If you had the time to volunteer for any organization in the world, what would you choose? Why?
- Write about independence, what it means to you, and if you have enough of it in your life? If not, what is one thing you can do to create a greater sense of freedom and independence in your life?
The Aquarius new moon kicks off February on the tail of Venus retrograde ending and turning direct. There is an excitement and electricity in the air with a bit of tension to activate a time of growth, renewal, independence, and forward thinking.
Just a few days after the Aquarius new moon, Mercury will go direct. We are in an interesting time period with a mix of coming out of a season of looking backwards with Venus retrograde and our relating style. While Mercury is getting ready to shift and will go direct during this new moon phase.
As we collectively start looking forward after looking backward through Venus and Mercury retrograde, take some time to meditate on what has shifted for you since mid-December. Set your Aquarius new moon intentions on taking action on your 2022 goals and implementing the lessons learned from the retrograde seasons.